Frequently Asked Questions
A: : A bad bio can be re-written; bad photos are unsalvageable. A great photo just "works". When it doesn't it's weird - it's a bad enough phenomenon that there was a website devoted to it called "Awkward Classical Photos" (which has since gone offline). Your photos will be used for several years; it's an important investment.
Every aspect of the shoot is thought out. I'll book either in-studio or on-location depending on what we're after and what's feasible. I ensure the composition of the photograph is suitable for marketing and promotional purposes.
A: Here’s an average marketing timeline for, say, a Canadian orchestra.
To prepare for the 2014-2015 Concert Season, working backwards:
February 2014: Season Announcement
- The media, stakeholders, board members, top-tier donors, and staff attend.
- The season (Sept /14 – June/15) is in place; the season brochure is completed, unveiled, and mailed to thousands of subscribers.
- the publicist sends the Season Announcement media release to all music journalists, trade publications, other arts groups, etc.
January 2014: brochure deadline
- Proofing, last-minute edits.
- the publicist is working late nights writing the overall season announcement media release. She is updating as info comes in.
- the marketing department starts crafting info to promote the 14/15 season, and works through the holidays. The brochure nears completion. The overlook “look” and “message” of the orchestra’s brochure is finalized.
- Guest artists are confirmed. A marketing staffer emails artist manages around the world, requesting updated EPKs. (This is when managers start panicking about all the bio updates they have to do).
This is why presenters need your promo materials in October 2013, regardless of when your gig is during the 14/15 season, even if it’s June 2015.
Keep your website updated. Otherwise, an outdated bio may turn up in a concert programme.
Once you’re booked for a gig, find out the latest you can send your updated bio and photos to ensure your most recent materials are used.
House programme deadlines vary, depending on how often they’re printed. If just one programme covers the season, the deadline for all materials are due way before opening night. If they are printed throughout the concert season, then deadlines will vary.
Please contact me for a quote.